Health Challenges

Teddy had severe Hip Dysplasia resulting in arthritis. He had a Femoral Head Ostectomy on his one side and it really I believe extended his life for many years. In this surgery, the ball portion of the hip is removed and there's no bone to bone contact which eliminates a lot of pain. After the surgery he had physical therapy and had to walk in water. I don't know that it was his favorite thing to do but the attention he received I believe made it ok. I'll never forget the first time I had a swimming pool out and he ever so cautiously got in, laid down and completely submerged himself. And then he would duck his head under the water and come up for air. I believe now, his joints felt good when he was in the water.



Dr. Randy from Great Lakes Veterinary Clinic once commented that there were dogs with better hips than Teddy's hips and they couldn't walk because of their weight. For this reason I kept him as thin as I could without being unhealthy and until almost near the end, he was able to get around as is seen on the photos and videos.
Teddy and Brita-96a